Tuesday, December 11, 2012

This I Believe

Rough Draft - Peer CommentsRough Draft - Teacher Comments

This I Believe - Final Draft


The Gift of Life
Kenneth S. Sisk

            My mother and I walked down the corridor of the local Salvation Army and got in line, where the more charitable were serving lunch to the homeless. We filled our plates and looked for two seats beside each other in the dining hall. The thought of taking handouts disgusted me, but I needed the sustenance—besides, the occurrence was becoming commonplace, the feeling customary. My mother urged me to go back for seconds. As I approached the line, I saw a grizzly man with a tattered shirt and jeans with paint permanently stuck to them. The man walked up to me and said, “You got a Union Bay shirt? Alright!” I was confounded. I had just received the red polo shirt earlier and thought nothing of it; it was another donation from the Salvation Army, and I associated Union Bay with bargain stores, such as Walmart. What perplexed me more than the man’s appreciation of the shirt was the fact that the man seemed genuinely happy and excited for me, because somebody managed to get what he considered to be a great thing. Despite having absolutely nothing, the man felt joy over the good fortune of someone else—he was happy to be alive to witness it. This event helped ignite a new moral flame of humanity within me, which burns to this day. With seven words, that grizzly old man taught me to truly appreciate life in its entirety; he showed me that in the most meager circumstances, there are things to still be thankful for. And so I carry this moral with me, and I believe I have become a better person because of it.
            After that day, I took pride in my Union Bay shirt. I walked around with it on as if nothing was wrong, because misery is merely a state of mind. I eventually grew out of the shirt, but as I matured, I realized that other things could be regarded as the shirt had been regarded. Ultimately, I came to the conclusion that life itself is a gift, and conscious perception proves to be an even greater gift to go along with it. Life is great, but a tree has life. As a human being with five senses, I have been given the ability to experience my existence and influence it. I have been given active participation in the goings on in the universe, and I feel that I am obligated to get the most out of it. As far as is known, we only get one life in this dimension, so I strive to make life positive, not only for myself, but for others. Just as I have learned to appreciate the things around me, I have learned to be thankful for my intrinsic attributes. In doing that, I have been able to acknowledge my talents and use them to earn acceptance into college—into a better life. As a result of learning to appreciate things, I have created more things to be grateful for. I also committed to complimenting people and helping them see the greatness in themselves. After all, we’re all wearing Union Bay shirts, and I want everyone to see that.

No comments:

Post a Comment